Sunday, January 30, 2011

...Nothing for Me...

"This world has nothing for me.  I will follow you."

Up until today I thought, "Yeah! I'm good.  The world has nothing for me.  Everything is great."  And I would sing it with all my heart and not give it another thought.  Until today.  And I realized that while the "big" sins of the world (like drugs, alcohol, sex outside of marriage, etc.) hold no appeal over me, it's the little things of the world that I have to fight against.  Things like watching shows or movies with inappropriate content, wasting hours on facebook but spending minimal time in God's Word, or complaining about things that don't go my way eat away at my relationship with God.
[Side note: music would also be included in the tv/movies category, but I do not listen to secular music if I can help it.  And by inappropriate I mean sinful.  Anything containing sexual content, cursing, disrespecting parents or other authority, or other sinful activities ought to be considered inappropriate for God's people.  Shows that portray sin as fun, acceptable, having no real consequences, or as not being wrong at all should not be entertaining to someone who is living to please the Lord.  If God does not want you to participate in sin, He certainly doesn't want you to be entertained by someone else who is.  I challenge you to hold your entertainment choices up to the standards set forth in the Bible.  If they don't make the grade, turn it OFF.] 
These are all things of the world.  I don't know what your struggles are, or if you've even thought about the the sin you've allowed into your life.  But we all need to, because even a little sin is a big deal.
The second part of the line in the song says, "I will follow you."  You can't follow Christ and still go your own way.  Either you're following Him, or you're not.  Think about it like this: if a friend asks you for a dollar, and you agree to give the dollar, but only give 75 cents, is that good enough?  What about if you give 99 cents?  It's really close, but it's still not a dollar.  When you agree to give God your life, you have to give all of it.  That may mean giving up some things you previously consumed.  That may mean separating yourself from situations or making radical changes in your daily routine.  Whatever it means for you, do it.  Give everything.  You'll never miss what you should never have in the first place.  Let God fill your life and you won't even want the things of the world.  And then you can truly say, "This world has NOTHING for me.  I will follow YOU."
Mark 8:34 Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said: "Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me.35 For whoever wants to save their lifet will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me and for the gospel will save it.
1 John 2:15 Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Fathert is not in them.16 For everything in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—comes not from the Father but from the world.17 The world and its desires pass away, but whoever does the will of God lives forever.
Colossians 3:5 Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry.6 Because of these, the wrath of God is coming.t7 You used to walk in these ways, in the life you once lived.8 But now you must also rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips.
Ephesians 5:3 But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God's holy people.4 Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving.5 For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure or greedy person—such a person is an idolater—has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.t6 Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things God's wrath comes on those who are disobedient.7 Therefore do not be partners with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment